oktober 15, 2011

Thesis: Wallerstein 2.0

I only just proposed my thesis subject to my promotor. Hopefully, it gets approved because it is what I really want to do. My thesis subject can be situated at the crossroad of all my major interests: economic systems, development in the global South and ecology. What I hope to be preoccupied with for the two years to come is the ecologically unequal exchange. 'Unequal exchange' is a marxist idea signifying a trade in which the price of the traded good does not reflect the actual costs and benefits for both parties. Of course it's a very contested concept.

The Third World Studies Center of Ghent University
Probably the best known application of the concept is its usage in Immanuel Wallerstein's World-systems Analysis. In this theory, Wallerstein argues that a set of core nations (the industrialized North) develops by exploiting the periphery (the global South) trough unequal trade relations. Such ideas were very popular in the 70's but with the rise of neoliberalism it got more and more contested. My thesis will focus on a chance of revival for World-systems Analysis; a chance embodied by the ecologically unequal exchange or EUE.

An EUE is just like the marxist concept, only it focuses specifically on the negative effects of an economic activity on the environment. EUE-theorists claim that often such ecological costs are not included in the pricing mechanism. The result is a product with an artificially low price, the excess value being transfered to the buyer. Can you see where this is going? Indeed, the industrialized North buys not-so-eco-fiendly goods produced in the global South thus extracting the excess value. My goal is to find out whether this effect plays in the real world, outside the field of theory, and in what way it contributes to problematic development in the South.

You all burn a candle for that the promotor may set the light to green and this exciting matter comes my way!

5 opmerkingen:

Unknown zei

I really hope you can take on this subject! It sounds darn interesting!

Regaliorum zei

It does indeed. We'd both be on the eco-train! :p

J.J. zei

I'm really beginning to suspect at least one of you guys might one day become famous. ;)

Regaliorum zei

Don't be so sure of that. I know were to find at least 200 other students with equally exciting subjects. :p

Unknown zei

Hope I don't become one of these guys who's in all the talk shows but nobody knows why :p